Scattergraph Principles and Practice
Powerful Tools Representing Depth and Velocity Sewer Flow Data
The Scattergraph is a powerful tool that displays depth and velocity data from a sewer flow monitor. The resulting patterns form characteristic signatures that provide insight into the conditions within a sewer. The flow monitor data also leave distinct patterns that even allow the performance of the flow monitor itself to be evaluated.
Surcharge conditions are common in sewer systems, especially during wet weather events. The flow monitoring data shown in the Scattergraph at the left indicate that this sewer operates as expected up to its rated capacity of 20.8 MGD. This value is shown using an iso-Q. Although surcharge conditions are common, it is uncommon to find a surcharged sewer that actually accommodates its rated capacity, as shown in this example.
The minimum and maximum dry weather flow rates are also shown using iso-Qs. The maximum dry weather flow rate occurs at a depth-to-diameter (d/D) ratio or 0.77, a depth in excess of generally accepted design guidelines.
Webinar Archive Videos
Scattergraph Principles and Practice Series
The scattergraph is a powerful tool that displays depth and velocity data from a sewer flow monitor, and the resulting patterns form characteristic signatures that provide insight into conditions within a sewer. The Scattergraph Principles and Practice webinar series is designed as an educational resource for wastewater professionals to understand how to use scattergraphs to recognize various flow conditions and understand how they impact sewer capacity and performance. This topic will be covered in a multi-part webinar series.
- PART 01: Fundamentals
- PART 02: Backwater and Surcharge Conditions
- PART 03: SSOs and CSOs
- PART 04: Pump Stations, Siphons, Valves, and Other Structures
- PART 05: Subcritical and Supercritical Flow
- PART 06: Flow Monitor Performance
- PART 07: Self-Cleansing in Existing Sewers
- Scattergraph Papers |A Comparison of Various Applications of the Manning Equation
- Scattergraph Papers |A Comparison of Various Applications of the Manning Equation (Metric)
- Scattergraph Papers |Camp’s Varying Roughness Coefficient Applied to the Manning Equation
- Scattergraph Papers |Camp’s Varying Roughness Coefficient Applied to the Manning Equation (Metric)
- SSOs and CSOs | Recognizing the Scattergraph Signature of an SSO